Posts Tagged ‘Respray


Project KP30: It’s that time of year again

Yes! As far as I’m concerned, from now on in, it’s officially Spring.  The KP has made it out of the garage and the Roadster hasn’t broken for long enough for me to do some work on it!

As always there’s a list of stuff I want to get done before I put it back on the road and unfortunately, that includes paint.  I hate doing paint.

I had to paint the boot lid after rolling the car back into my engine stand while in the garage (yep, there was A LOT of swearing) and the bonnet had developed a weird reaction/ bubble thing so, out came the gun.

Magically, the paint looks good in this pic…it’s not, so I’ll be flatting it back and giving it another coat.  Did I mention I hate doing paint?

Meanwhile I’ve sent the aluminium thermostat housing out to get welded up as it had started to leak.  When that’s back, it should be ready for another summer on the road.  I pretty much can’t wait to be driving round listening to twin 40s and smelling of petrol!


Project KP30: 1st Coat Down! Respray Part #4

The sun shone today, so when the world had warmed up at lunch time I laid the first couple of coats down.


Started off with my Binks gravity fed gun; Just couldn’t get it to work right and give me any sort of fan.

Swapped over to the gun that came with the compressor and BAM: Awesome spray!

Put about a litre down so far which has covered all the primer and for the most part given a good finish.

When it goes off I’m going to wet sant out a couple of imperfections and then hopefully, Friday, shoot a final couple of coats.


Project KP30: Waiting. Respray Part #3

Well Thursday spray-day never happened as when it wasn’t lashing with rain, it was 100% humidity. Not good. I have spent the last couple of days prepping and painting the trims and rad; all the little nitty bits. As it stands now the weather is set to be good all weekend so I  masked her up ready to rock as soon as the sun shines:

Hopefully tomorrow is the day!

While noone was looking I threw my TRD harnesses in the washing machine; I think they came out pretty sweet!!


Project KP30: Rust is a crime. Respray Part #2

So, when I said the fuel filler was the worst bit, I was wrong: The front wings and the bonnet edge are the worst bits!:

The wings are not the original ones off this car; the original wings were used to restore anotherKP30 hence, the rest of the body is un-welded and immaculate and the wings are a bit well, rough round the edges!

As I hate body filler and don’t have the kit for lead loading, I used the trusty MIG and added new metal as required.

Here is the wing:

With al the pin holes plugged, I gave them a skim of filler, a flat, more flatting, knifing stopper, more flatting, more flatting and then primer.

The rest of the car is solid as a rock so no issues to deal with other than dent/ mark removal. The drivers door being the worst, having a bit of crease in it from someone opening their door against it! A little panel beating and some plop later and it’s silky smooth.

So that has been my life for 8+ hours a day for the last 6 days and this is how the car looks now:

It just needs masking and then spraying! Fingers crossed the big spray-day will be tomorrow (though the weather is looking like it has other ideas!!). Optimistically I have put up my spray booth:

Of course, when I say spray booth I mean “a load of tarps tied to my car port” but it does the job and keeps at least some of the paint off the neighbours cars!

I have also prepped the splitter so it can be painted at the same time:

And made a start of refurbing the light surrounds and trims:

Still aiming for the end of the month to have her on the road. Alls that is left to do tonight is watch the weather!


Project KP30: The take over the breaks over. Respray Part #1

From Car show to no-go. The week off work is booked and the Starlet is stripped!

Now don’t get me wrong, the paint wasn’t bad but, between rushing it originally to get it done for a car show, 9 months of daily driving, 3 weeks of hardcore winter use and 3 summers of shows it was starting look a bit tired. That, and in true Toyota fashion, it has gained a couple of blebs and is trying to return to nature!

Round the filler is the worst bit:

I collected all the paint and materials together. The good news is all this talk of going to water-based is, for now, rubbish. Two-pack is going to be available for a while longer!

This just shows how quick I had to put it together after painting it; when I took the numberplate off it pulled the paint off! Check out the OG colour showing.

This needs a roll cage.

There’s not much to it, just one afternoon and 4 boxes of stuff. This is why I love old cars!

Plan is to get it Painted and MOT’d by the end of the Month then hope fully it is being re-shot for a Retro Cars Mag fearture (fingers crossed!!).