Advertisements

Posts Tagged ‘cam lid

16
Jan
11

Project E30: Spark, Crackle & Pop

OK, so these old Motronic injection engines do like a good vac leak and I’m pretty sure I had the beginningS of one; the odd splutter when cold and stuff.  I didn’t want to take any chances so pulled off the inlet manifold and replaced anything that looked like it was cracking or had gone hard.

ICV valves are also prone to filling with gunk so I blasted that out with a load of carb cleaner too.

While I had it in bits I wanted to paint up the cam lid as it was rough and still covered in the factory wax:

I was a bit keen and managed to pull the end of one of the ignition leads when taking it apart, so I threw a new set in; it needed doing, so not a bad thing I guess…

I was running out of space in the garage so used a little masking paper to paint the cam lid on.

I added a little crackle to the paint for that OEM-style finish

If you’ve ever wondered what the hardest job on an E30 is, it’s fitting the leads back into the plastic carrier…seriously I got shouty with it, but that didn’t help.  Still, it’s back on now…

Looks a lot better (though still not as good as an S14 M3 Motor…).  I noticed the dizzy cap has a big split in it,  In fact I don’t know how the car is even running with it like that, but it does, which is good  for now as I can’t get one until Tuesday!

 

Advertisements
05
Aug
10

Project Roadster: Belt and Braces (well, water pump, not braces really)

Yeah, I’m sorry, this is one of those I’ve serviced my car posts.  The only posts worse than this are “I washed my car and took some pics” posts.  I’m sorry.  But here it is anyway…

After 3 years of ownership I thought it was worth giving the Mazbo a good going over: New cam belt, water pump, fuel filter, oil, oil filter, air filter, coolant and so on…

Despite having done a few, and even one previously on this very car, I still get scared doing cam belts on twincam engines; I’m a push-rod and rockers kinda guy.  Still the Mazda is pretty easy with lots of timing marks on it and not a lot of work required to get to the belt.

I did the pump while I was there too – dedicated I know!

Home-made crank pulley holder.

I did some tarting up too:  Re-painted the cam lid and cleaned the bay up.

Done! It even still works, which is a bonus!

Then all the rain in the world fell out of the sky…

I washed it too, oh wait…