Advertisements

16
Mar
08

Project KP30; The smell of petrol and success!

So over the last couple of weeks I have been rebuilding the head and a few other bits and I finally got it back together today anyway, have some pics!;

I did a few jobs like repainting the bay, wrapping the loom, detailing some bits and re-spraying the rad;

With the head back on the block it was time to refit the rockers. That didn’t go well. The threads in the head were badly worn and would not torque up. On turning over the engine (by hand) the rocker shaft bolts pulled out of the head.

More delays ensued waiting for a heli-coil kit. But when it came It was a pretty easy fix and should be good for life. I had already done the manifold studs so the head is in pretty good shape.

Now the rocker gear was on, torqued and adjusted I was on the home straight!

Coil and cap wired in and re-fitted

New manifold gasket

New plugs

One of the problems I had before was with the manifold bolts I was using. They were star head bolts but as access is so tight I was doing them up with a 10mm socket or spanner. This lead to them rounding and giving me all sort of grief.

This time I used socket head bolts allowing me to use a slim tool so I could get at them to tighten them up.

The worst 2 are the upper outer bolts which I made a special tool for  (by special tool I mean a cut down allen key!)

With the manifold on, oil checked and coolant filled I fired her up

First turn of the key on 5 month old petrol – I was chuffed! Check out the vid!

Running on the Manifold!!

Another Issue I had was the engine rocking under load causing the manifold to hit the body, so I made an upper engine brace to help with this.

I bought some rod ends and some tube.

I tapped the tube to fit the rod ends and fitted some lock nuts so I can adjust the length as required.

Added a little detail to make it pretty

I used 2 surplus threaded holes on the block above the fuel pump cover and made a bracket for the body side between the battery tray and an existing threaded hole above the brake proportioning valve


Test fit;



Now I just need to take it all off and paint it!

Next steps are to sort the suspension. One strut is leaking so I have ordered seals through Toyota (coming from Japan). They did promise me they would be here on the 11th, but now it’s going to be the 26th!

While the struts are out I want to make some Camber plates so I can dial in a bit more negative at the front and go lower.

Then its MOT time!

Advertisements

1 Response to “Project KP30; The smell of petrol and success!”


  1. 1 Max
    September 24, 2009 at 12:51 pm

    Thanks for this job on your Toyoda !!
    Great, wonderful, ….


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Advertisements

%d bloggers like this: