Mojo. It’s escaped me totally for the last 3 months, leaving me locked inside with the heating on, the cars put away for the winter and the curtains shut. Call me in Spring. Well, that was the plan, but slowly, over the last few weeks I’ve started getting back into it culminating in to today: a (relative) marathon of spanner twirling and garage based action.
A master plan has been hatched to shoot the Herald for Retro Cars at the end of Feb so I’ve been pulling together the finishing touches: Christmas brought me Ram pipes and with a bit of cutting of the inner arch they were on.
I’ve bought a set of low profile mesh filters as well; I’m not brave enough to run open…The carbs are due a rebuild and I’m just waiting on the kit and I can give them the full Dave Vizard gas flow treatment while I’m there…
The exhaust has always hung low on the Herald and frankly looked like is was made for a totally different car. I decided to “fix” this and in my book of definitions “fix” means make it louder at the same time. The back box was binned leaving me with a nice easy routing. Some stainless pipe was ordered and cut about to fit.
The pipe that arrived, while stainless, wasn’t exactly the shiniest…in fact it looked like mild. This turned out to be fortuitous giving me the opportunity to add a bit of texture with sandpaper before I polished it; the Herald isn’t some show car, it’s a ’60s gentleman’s racer and as such would not be sporting a chrome pipe!
Before & After
I used the original mounts and new, period hangars and hung it all up: More ground clearance, more noise, less weight. But mainly more noise, which is a good thing.
Next: Oil cooler mount was taken off and remade (plug welded instead of bolted) and painted:
And that covers today’s action. Not long now and it’ll be back on the road: Race Retro here we come!