With the car only just home and cooling on the drive I put in the order for my coilovers. Despite a lot of big talk of me “going sensible” I already knew the 924 didn’t stand a chance. Next on the list was wheels. I spent what felt like forever trawling the ‘net, phoning people, calling in favours and keeping my fingers crossed; it paid off. Big time.
I booked a few days off work and took this:
and made it look like this:
The front was an easy swap: Struts to coilovers and max out the camber (which is adjustable from the factory):
Gaz units installed (have you seen the arches…that’s not me, that’s how it came! Actual concourse car)
The rear was more tricky; Being a torsion bar set up the whole beam needed removing, stripping and re-indexing. I’ve not got too many pics of this as I was fighting it, but here’s the set up I used to measure the drop I wanted with the beam off the car:
I read a lot of how-to guides on the internet and they pretty much either blew my mind with trigonometry or were just plain unclear. I figured I’d stick to basics and work it out by measuring. The alloy strip was measured to represent the radius arm and I used a fixed point on the cantilever as a reference. I wanted to drop it 70mm at the rear (pre-measured on the car) so re-indexed the bars to give me that drop. Sounds easy. It wasn’t.
I then lifted the beam back into the car and fitted my rear Gaz shortened dampers.
In between all this I collected and worked on my wheels. This is how I collected them complete with monster drag tyres. They’d come off a wide-arched 924 GTS replica.
I had the tyres removed and did a test-fit (notice the horrific mud-flaps? Yeah, I replaced them with Turbo spats pretty quick! You’ll also probably notice this isn’t strictly chronological, but I’ll get to the good bit soon, hang in there….)
I spent the best part of three nights hand polishing them. This was not the most fun I’ve ever had, but it worked out pretty well.
I agonised over tyre profiles for a while on this one; I wanted to fight the low-pro route as everyone is doing it and, well, it’s not strictly retro or in keeping with the car. So I settled on 195/60 and 185/65s. This gave the rear 9″ a nice stretch to help get them under the arches.
I’m really pleased with how it came out and even think the tyre profile deal came off. The car sits about 70mm lower at the back and 75-80mm lower at the front. It drives sweet with no rubbing or issues at all. And I know it’s not cool, but it actually has some ground clearance! All in it took three days to do by the time I had fixed a few little bits and cleaned stuff up underneath. These are the first few pics so the height will get tweaked more as it settles. I’ll do a full shoot as soon as I get chance, but for now, I’ve got my red braces on and I’m hitting the city for another prawn cocktail.