About these ads

Apr

Project Herald: Goodwood Chic or Outlaw racer?

What started as a casual look at a local car that came up for sale turned into a full on hunt for a Triumph Herald…Why?  Erm, not sure really, they are just one of those slightly rarer cars that are everything you want a ’60s British car to be: Odd, bit of racing pedigree and rear wheel drive.   So it was my Dad that found this car (it’s his fault) and after the usual viewing, test drive and haggle (though none of this mattered; the second the garage door went up I knew I was buying it) I was driving it home.  It’s not going to be a massive project, in fact it’s pretty much there…but you know I can’t leave things alone so…erm, we’ll see!

Wheels are Spitfire optional Dunlop Steels.

Engine is a 1500cc from a Spitfire with twin SU carbs, 4-branch manifold and stainless system.  ‘Box is a 4-speeder from the same.

The suspension is Spitfire at the front and poly bushed with just a lowering block at the back.  Brakes are also from a Spitty with braided lines.

I’ve done a fair bit of work already from changing all the fluids to bleeding brakes to fitting a new clutch master cylinder and balancing the carbs.  The interior also got a good clean as it was covered in 43 years of life (and from the smell of it a fair amount of death).

It’s been so cool just cruising about in it this weekend.  Still umming and ahrring about what to do.  I love the period street racer look and the Outlaw 356 style from my earlier post…let see.

The main reason for getting the car is to have something I can use as much as possible from hitting the shops to hitting the beach this is my not quite daily cruiser.

About these ads

9 Responses to “Project Herald: Goodwood Chic or Outlaw racer?”

1. 1 tony king
    April 25, 2011 at 9:40 pm

hey rob,lovely looking little car.everytime i arrive or leave from my flat i pass a white vitesse that looks just like that just a tad lower..also parked in a line on the quiet back roads are pi’s,heralds and spits. theres a garage that only does trummys (southen triumph) in the lane behide the houses. its funny,only a week ago this white vitesse on the same steels as yours stopped me in my tracks whilst walking back from the shop’s, “thats bloody cool” i thourght…..and i dont normally like triumphs at all :-).
    tone

2. 2 shayan
    April 26, 2011 at 1:13 am

yes yes yes yes yessssss
    this car is so sweet

3. April 26, 2011 at 9:40 am

So I was completely wrong with my guesses but this looks sweet. Can’t wait to see a little outlaw-style injected into it. All this retro talk is making me think that my summer might be full of Morris Minor messing !

4. 4 Michiel
    May 7, 2011 at 8:06 pm

What a nice Herald! Want to swap for a 2CV6? ;-)

5. May 9, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Most of the people always wish that their cars must have a cool look and the one which is charismatic too. The interior of this car is purposeful & high quality. Downside is stylish and it is one of the cleanest and finest designs in this class.

6. 6 Seth
    May 15, 2011 at 12:08 am

That looks tidy.

*Coughs.

Engine swap. ;-)

7. 7 Kevin Truong
    May 20, 2011 at 4:30 am

Another beautiful classic! Damn man, how many projects/rides do you need? Gonna go broke man.

8. June 11, 2011 at 7:32 am

Heralds are great little things! My uncle got one a few years ago (inspired by my GT6) and he’s had great fun in it since then. He fitted the 2.0 straight six from a GT6 along with all the suspension and running gear plus o/d box, stainless twin exit exhaust and electronic ignition. Goes like stink now! The electronic ignition is the type that fits under your original dizzy cap and it’s a great, cheap upgrade from points and highly recommended for £25. I polybushed my GT6 and put some GAZ adjustables on and it transformed the car. All food for thought I hope ;)

Outlaw Herald indeed

9. January 16, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Simply great images of the cars, looks very cool, fast and furious. Lol!. One of my favorite car model.