About these ads

Feb

Project KP30: Relocation Station Part #1

For this summer I wanted to shift the battery into the boot and tidy the bay up generally.  It won’t be a full on wire tuck, but I will be ditching the horn, voltage regulator, some wiring and erm the battery to give a cleaner look and more space to play.

This morning I picked up the cable and connectors I need:

I stripped off the exhaust and carbs to change all the gaskets and misab rings.  I also wanted to see if the 4-1 manifold I picked up might fit…it’s not even close so I’ll be sticking to my 4-2-1.

I was really hoping to get more done over the last couple of weeks, but it’s not happened so the car is still in the air (and will be for a few more weeks)

I’ve also secretly been stuffing money down the back of my Sofa and have hopefully saved up enough to fund an LSD.   This will MAKE this car.  Having driven it with a welded diff it was a total animal, so hopefully with the ability to unlock, it will be manageable when parking and a total hang-wagon.  I’ve started making enquiries and have consulted Thomas Delien the font of Toyota knowledge (more on his car soon) and it appears the car has a “U292″ diff:

This means (in theory) a 6″ KP61 diff should fit, so if anyone out there has one for sale, any more info on what will fit or any leads as to where I can get one hit me up on the usual channels:

Comments

FACEBOOK

Racer_86@hotmail.com

Thanks!

About these ads

7 Responses to “Project KP30: Relocation Station Part #1”

1. 1 callum
    February 25, 2011 at 9:47 pm

yip a u code 6″ trd one would be the go.

2. 2 tony king
    February 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm

hey rob,glad the old kp’s getting some goodies. as far as i was aware 30’s run a 5’6 diff but a look over on kp61.net will confirm the size of u code and x code. i know from my starlet diff smashing antics the 6″ diff has bigger spline’s on the half shafts and the kp30 will be small spline shaft. ive had starlet small diff and kp30 shafts side by side and know there the same (although starlets obviously longer).having said that kp30’s did come with both diffs but ive never come across one and not shaw they ever made it to the uk.
    i know the price of diff’s so just wanted to make shaw you find the one you need.it’ll be great with a slipper in it.
    tone

3. 3 Thomas
    February 28, 2011 at 12:19 am

well, the u292 on the VIN plate says this should be one with a 6″ U-code in it. I think that the older KP30s came with a 5,7″ B-code, which is different from the 5,6″ X-code from KP61s, but i’m not really sure about the fact that they came with B-codes or not. I know that older KE20s came with a B-code.

4. 4 racer86
    March 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Thanks Chaps. According to KP61.net the U code is a 6″, though I worry the shafts won’t fit a 6″ LSD if Tony says the KP30 shafts are the same spline-wise as a 5.6″…I’ve asked the question on KP61.net, but I am confused…

5. 5 tony king
    March 1, 2011 at 10:17 pm

ive still have a starlet 5’6 diff and shaft in the garage if you wanted me to check the spline dim’s mate? as tomas says yours is running a 6″ diff so in theory the splines should be the larger ones and a trd diff intended for a kp61 etc should be fine just cant hurt to pull a shaft out to check.

6. 6 Thomas
    March 2, 2011 at 2:28 pm

If it’s a U-code, the splines are the bigger ones. Doesn’t matter in which car they are. I was running a KP61 U-code diff in my KE20 U-code axle. Did fit, except for the housing to be different at 2 studs, they where too short. Gearing was not right for me anyway, so now i have the LSD centre in my stock KE20 diff, fits just fine. X and U code are different, B and U code share the same halfshafts.

7. 7 Thomas
    March 12, 2011 at 1:23 am

This COULD be a diff you’re looking for, but i can’t tell from the (really) bad pic and the very general description… You’d need to know where it came from, OR a picture from the other side of the crownwheel should be enough to define if it’s a 6″ or not.

my 6″ U:

5,6″ X:

it’s the ribs on the cover which could tell which diff it is…